[ltp] Remarks on Xubuntu 10.04 on T410s

August Lilleaas linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 9 Jun 2010 20:33:44 +0200

--00504502d824a7ceb304889d260c

On archlinux I use the great
thinkfan<http://sourceforge.net/projects/thinkfan/>daemon. It is using
/proc/acpi/ibm so if you can't control those by hand I
doubt thinkfan helps, but you could give it a shot I suppose.

--
August Lilleaas

--00504502d824a7ceb304889d260c

On archlinux I use the great <a href=3D"http://sourceforge.net/projects/thi=
nkfan/">thinkfan</a> daemon. It is using /proc/acpi/ibm so if you can&#39;t=
 control those by hand I doubt thinkfan helps, but you could give it a shot=
 I suppose.<br>

pan dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:threequarks@yahoo.com">threequarks@ya=
"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">

gn=3D"top" style=3D"font:inherit">Has anybody ventured to install linux on =
the T410s? Well, I tried, and so far the state is as follows:<br><br>1. The=
re was circulating a workaround for the sound problem, but with kernel 2.6.=
35-rc2 this problem does no longer exist, even the FN+volume up/down keys n=
ow work correctly.<br>

to switching from integrated to discrete graphics).=C2=A0 With the=C2=A0 2.=
6.35-rc2 kernel, it works either way (that is, regardless of corresponding =
BIOS setting).=C2=A0 However, the best results are obtained if I set &quot;=
integrated graphics&quot; and &quot;no switchable&quot; in the BIOS.=C2=A0 =
Also, it seems that the machine stays also cooler in that way.=C2=A0 Howeve=
r, i did not succeeded with Alien Arena, it gives just a black screen.=C2=
=A0 And tuxracer behaves choppy with &quot;discrete graphics&quot; - perhap=
s the kernel
 drivers are not optimal for the NVida 3100m<br><br>3. WLan, brightness key=
s work.=C2=A0 I did not test bluetooth, fingerprint, though.<br><br>4. The =
only thing I do not like is that the fan seems to be decoupled from the tem=
perature sensor, and constantly runs on about 4000/min.=C2=A0=C2=A0 The ibm=
-acpi/fan is immune to any change (despite of &quot;thinkpad_acpi fan_contr=
ol=3D1&quot; and &quot;thinkpad_acpi experimental=3D1&quot;)<br>

 - there is no way to change the level, nor fan speed.<br><br>Does anyone k=
now whether the fan is actually controlled by some XUbuntu demon (in this w=
ay it is conceivable that any change to  &quot;ibm-acpi/fan&quot; is instan=
taneously overwritten by the demon).<br>

r>

--00504502d824a7ceb304889d260c--