[ltp] W500 DisplayPort Intel GMA vs Radeon 3650

"Marcel Müller" linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 09 Jun 2010 21:25:03 +0200

> "Marcel Müller" wrote:
> >
> > Anyway I switched to the opensource radeon driver. This gave my indeed
> > what I wanted for a couple of minutes. Then out a sudden (10-15 minutes
> > after normal work) the internal display just got some kind of blurry
> > effect. It's hard to describe. Thin black lines for instance are
> > flickering blueish. The fonts are readable but it appears every 2nd row
> > has some sort of misinformation. The background of the console window is
> > not black anymore. For my eye it appears some grey color is added.  And
> > couple of other nasty features. If I power down and start up again it is
> > fine for 5-10 minutes. I suspect this might be a temperature issue. I
> > noticed the GPU has around 60° degree Celsius.   Does anyone have an
> idea
> > what happens here?
> >

> I also had heat problems with the xorg driver: my GPU was always over
> 60ºC,
> even reaching 80 with something as simple as playing flash videos.
> Switching to fglxr fixed it though.  I also had this strange horizontal
> screen flicker appear occasionally in the laptop's LCD, and after reading
> your post I believe it was probably caused by the heat, as also probably
> your own flicker is.

Well I contacted Lenovo and I will send my laptop in for repair. Personally I don't think software can break that.  I also face Moiré effects on the internal lcd  when the lines appear. On an external monitor (clone mode) the screen is perfect. And a screenshot is also fine. I'm pretty sure the internal lcd is broken.

Let's keep the fingers crossed that Lenovo won't send the laptop back not repaired with the reason: Can't reproduce the issue.

> "Karsten König" wrote:
> >
> > Check out vga_switcheroo from 2.6.34+, your usecase fits perfectly =)
> >

> I've been waiting to take a shot at switcheroo for a while.  I'm running
> Lucid as Marcel, and as laz^H^H stability and security conscious as I am,
> want to stick to it.  How suicidal would it be to install 2.6.34 in Lucid?
> I've read several people mention it "works," but never with much detail,
> and
> I'm sure, as Murphy is, *something* must break... starting with fglrx,
> which
> would've to be rebuilt.  Has anyone here tried it?

If you wanna try it the Ubuntu guys already packaged it:

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/drm-next/2010-05-26-lucid/

You can also use a more current build.

For me this kernel was disappointing. The temperature does not go down significantly (maybe 1 or 2 degrees). I count on  2.6.35. Also I couldn't get vga_switcheroo working. The folder in the debug tree is not there and I didn't found out why. I think this is a bug in the kernel.
However I have no new problems with this kernel, so I would say it is pretty safe to test (just leave or old one in place to go back if you wan't). Can't tell if fglrx will like 2.6.34. I haven tried that.