[ltp] SATA harddisk in ThinkPad T42

Wed, 23 Jun 2010 17:38:03 -0300

On Wed, 23 Jun 2010, Helen Borrie wrote:
> >On Tue, 22 Jun 2010, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> >> But then altough I do not use the DVD/CDRW drive that often, I bet hot
> >> plugging that ultrabay harddisk might pose a problem. Any experiences?
>
> At 02:07 PM 23/06/2010, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
>
> >It just works.  Hot*un*plugging can be much nicer (and safer for your
> >data and disk heads) with some udev help, look for info in thinkwiki.
>
> Is hot-unplugging the HDD in the ultrabay also recommended for the T60?
> I'm always very conservative about mine - shutting right down to Poweroff
> when swapping the HDD for the optical drive and vice versa.  Am I actually
> not doing the HDD a favour here, then?

As a rule:  tell the kernel to remove the SCSI sd device first, and when the
device disappears, you can tell the thinkpad to power down the bay.   This
*needs* a udev script (which your distro may or may not supply.  I don't
know of any that does it, so chances are you need to read the stuff in
thinkwiki).

If the led in the ultrabay is off, it is safe to remove the device.  If it
is not off, you really should not remove the device.

  Henrique Holschuh