[ltp] SATA harddisk in ThinkPad T42

Paul Seelig linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 25 Jun 2010 17:46:39 +0200

Hi Martin,

just for the record, i have a 160GB Seagate Momentus in my trusty old
T23, and it is fully recognized both on hardware and operating system
level (including the legacy WinXPSP3). The only gripe i have had to come
to terms with was that the T23 is not designed for any such kind of hard
disks, and is unable to properly cool them. On my T61 there are no such
temperature issues, thanks to the redesigned cooling system.

So, in order to have my 160GB Seagate Momentus not die an early death in
the T23 due to excess heat levels, which were by far exceeding 50
degrees Celsius during peek usage, i resorted to use it only via an
UltraBay HDD adapter. Via grub redirection from the first hard disk it
boots just fine from there.

I tried to play around with the hdparm -B values to have the power
management level constantly on 192, as this turned out to be most
favorable one temperature wise. But given the fact that the T23 was
simply never designed to handle disks emitting such high temperature
levels, there is nothing else we can do about it. I really wouldn't mind
being proven wrong, though.

Cheers
P. *8^)