[ltp] SATA harddisk in ThinkPad T42

Martin Steigerwald linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 25 Jun 2010 22:52:01 +0200

--nextPart2644228.GhuOrVDuPD

Am Freitag 25 Juni 2010 schrieb Martin Steigerwald:
> First I thought the drive is quite noisy, but I compared with my
> Hitachi  160 GB and it made the same noise. Thats just the 5400 rpm
> sound I guess and I do not hear it when the ThinkPad fan is on. But no
> sound of head movements whatsoever.

Well now I hear some head movements, but very, very quiet.

Well I think I can hear the unload, but its difficult to tell, since=20
pressing the return key to enter the command also makes some noise.

Well, lets see:

shambhala:~> sleep 5 ; hdparm --idle-unload /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
 issuing idle_immediate_unload command

Yes! I heard it. ;)

Ciao,