[ltp] Expresscard and external USB drives

Pedro Ribeiro linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 26 Jun 2010 01:53:16 +0100

On 26 June 2010 00:29, Damon Lynch <damonlynch@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Is it the case that Expresscard does not supply enough power to USB hard
> drives to allow them to run without their own source of power? On the
> Expresscard website it says " 3.3 V and 1.5 V are supplied to the
> ExpressCard interface", which is something I only just learned.
>
> I recently purchased a combo of an Expresscard USB 3.0 adapter and a coup=
le
> of=A0 2.5" USB 3.0 external enclosures, both manufactured by Acomdata.=A0=
 Their
> USB 3.0 2.5" external enclosure doesn't have the option of supplying
> additional power to it, other than through the USB 3.0 cable itself. I'm
> stunned that they would sell a bundle like this, when it's apparently
> impossible to supply enough power to the device! Is this really possible =
in
> 2010? Or is there something I'm missing?
>
> Damon
>
> --
>
> http://www.damonlynch.net

I can't really answer your question, but I do know that ExpressCard
Firewire/1394 adapters do NOT provide power to any connected Firewire
devices. It was a real surprise to me, so now I wouldn't be surprised
that they also do not provide power to usb3 devices.

Regards,
Pedro