[ltp] PCI video card in dock II is not detected

Lara Michaels linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 28 Feb 2010 20:30:30 -0800 (PST)

Hi everyone,

I got myself a Thinkpad Dock II (2877, http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkPad_Dock_II) happily thinking I could then use a dual-head video card (I picked one listed on Thinkwiki, the PNY Quadro NVS 280).

The trouble that, when my X31 is docked, the PCI video card does not show up in lspci's output at all. If I insert a Cardbus card into the dock, however, it shows up correctly -- so I know the dock is "alive". (Same goes for the PCI video card itself -- it works on an old desktop system I have here.)

I have tried a number of kernel boot options: acpi=off, pci=assign-busses, pci=noacpi, pci=routeirq and pci=nobios. Still, lspci never shows the PCI card. Strangely, it does show the PCI "bridge" on the dock itself.

Output of lspci -vvv: http://pastebin.com/ehDZ0Twk
Output of dmesg: http://pastebin.com/HFhhFnYX

Has anyone succeeded in using a PCI video card on Linux using the Dock II? What else should I try?

Thank you for any guidance,

~lara