[ltp] How to get volume hotkeys working again on W500?

Marc MERLIN linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 1 Mar 2010 12:21:42 -0800

On Mon, Mar 01, 2010 at 04:41:26PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Feb 2010, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> > I've read the list archives, I know ubuntu did something not much loved
> > where they generate X events on the hardware volume keys.
>
> Whether that has any bearing on whatever happens in your system depends on
> your ThinkPad model.  The newer ones from Lenovo do *NOT* issue volume
> up/down ACPI notifications, they issue volume up/down keypresses and
> software has to act on them or the volume won't be changed.

Aah, thanks for confirming that.
So it sounds like my xbindkeys is indeed the way to go then.

> > I guess I can live with making this work through X, but any idea what
> > changed or what I'm missing?
>
> The hardware lost the extra console (headphone/speakers) volume control, so

Yeah, I noticed that. I wonder how many cents that saved :-/

> it now depends on the HDA mixer to do that.  It *does* have console hardware
> mute (independent of the HDA mixer).

Thanks for explaining, so xbindkeys it is for me then.

Thanks,
Marc
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/