[ltp] How to get volume hotkeys working again on W500?

Marc MERLIN linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 6 Mar 2010 14:42:09 -0800

On Mon, Mar 01, 2010 at 05:25:28PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Mar 2010, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> > > The hardware lost the extra console (headphone/speakers) volume control, so
> >
> > Yeah, I noticed that. I wonder how many cents that saved :-/
>
> Well, it removed an entire IC that did the eletronic volume control plus the
> spearker and headphone amplification and drive.  I doubt it was a cost
> issue, more likely it was a power budget issue, supply chain issue (that IC
> is an old part, might be in phase-out at the vendor) or a noise issue.

Gotcha on that.

Now this reminds me that I find the speaker volume fairly low on this
laptop. When the source is low too, end volume is too low sometimes.

Does someone have a recommended way to boost sound by resampling the output
past whatever volume 100% on alsamixer would give you?

Marc
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/