[ltp] Re: Hot GPU

Stefan Monnier linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 11 Mar 2010 20:50:32 -0500

> The GPU temperature seems to always be in the 70 to 80 Celsius range. I
> am using the 'ati' driver (not the proprietary fglrx driver). This seems
> overly high to me. Am I wrong?

This varies a lot between models.  But yes, my &60's ATI chip is always
very warm: its temperature typically hovers around 68°-70° whie the CPU
is at 50°-54°, this is using the "radeon" driver on a mostly idle
machine (and no 3D anything in sight: I used to use the ""vesa" driver
with the same setup).  Note that the GPU's temperature was about as high
back when I was using the "vesa" driver.
This is very unfortunate because it means shorter battery life and more
fan-noise.

        Stefan