[ltp] thinklight on x200s

Robert Tomsick linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 16 Mar 2010 21:47:17 +0000

--=-satqWT5ZVKfzl4S/ZCtJ

On Tue, 2010-03-16 at 16:28 -0500, Chris Schumann wrote:
> On 03/16/2010 04:23 PM, Chris Penn wrote:
> > I have a few thinkpads, i.e. x41 tablet and t61p.  I definitely notice
> > the difference between the IBM made machines and the Lenovo made
> > machines.  It is really sad that I cannot get the x41 quality anymore.
> >   =20
> I have a T60 and a T400, and I think the build quality is only very=20
> slightly less than my wife's T41p, but all of them pale next to my old=20
> 600X. That thing is a tank.

I've had an X40, X60s, X61s, and an X200s.  The X200s has one quality
issue that bugs me (thin palmrest plastic), but the X6x series machines
feel every bit as solid as the X40.  The X200s is quite a durable,
well-built machine in its own right -- the palmrest thinness is
basically just a cosmetic gripe of mine, as it's actually quite
resistant to impact -- its just not the same sort of build as the X6x
series.

I *do* think that there are differences in IBM and Lenovo's approach:
Lenovo is deliberately targeting the lower end of the market with stuff
like the SL series, the X100e, and the Edge, whereas IBM only made
high-end machines.  When comparing, say, high-end T-series from each
manufacturer, I really don't think that the quality has undergone a
major change in one way or another.

Just my 0.02 USD...

--=-satqWT5ZVKfzl4S/ZCtJ

--=-satqWT5ZVKfzl4S/ZCtJ--