[ltp] Linux boot/shutdown stops on console and continues after key press

Yves-Alexis Perez linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 19 Mar 2010 09:59:31 +0100

On 18/03/2010 21:56, Pezhman Givy wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> the problem occurs with debian stock kernel as well as with self compiled 2.6.32.7 kernel and
> extremely often with Knopix CDs. When booting, the machine sometimes stops on the console and waits for a key press without
> a notice. I have to press a key even the shift key and the boot process continues. Sometimes it stops several
> times and I have to press a key every time to continue. Same happens when shutting down. The current machine is a W700.
> On a T42p it happened as far as I remember only once and never again.

I had a problem like at some point with a buggy kernel and disk
encryption. Basically an interrupt problem, so you had to provide
interruptions (keypresses) for the boot to proceed. But it definitely
doesn't happen in current stock debian kernel. And the fact it can be
reproduced with self compiled vanilla kernel and knoppix cds lead to an
hardware problem, wether memory, mainboard or some weird device plugged in?

If you could be a little more specific on your hardware it might help.
--
Yves-Alexis