[ltp] What is the fastest Thinkpad I can get now?

Karsten König linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 22 Mar 2010 20:15:56 +0100

Am Montag, 22. März 2010 19:49:28 schrieb John Jason Jordan:
> I have a T61 with 2 GHz Intel dual core, 320 GB SATA-2 hard drive
> (replaced the original 160 GB drive) and 4 GB of RAM. It's not fast
> enough.
>
> I do a lot of desktop publishing for print on Fedora 11 x86_64. I
> currently have Scribus open and it is using 2.2 GB of RAM. System
> Monitor tells me the total RAM usage at the moment is 3.4 GB (adding
> other open applications). On occasion I am swapping to disk. I'd add
> RAM, but my T61 is maxed out at 4 GB.
>
> I also need a faster CPU. Exporting to PDF from Scribus sometimes takes
> half an hour and longer. I don't care if it's Intel or AMD, just so it
> is fast. Of course, there are other issues that impinge on speed of
> CPU, like bus speed, etc. I don't care what it takes, I just want
> processing speed.
>
> I love the 15.4 inch screen at 1680 x 1050 on my T61, and want my next
> computer to have the same resolution, and I prefer nVidia graphics.
>
> So what is the most powerful Thinkpad I can get today?

W510 or T510 are the current high end 15'' machines, but they now are 16:9
ratio, which is really sad, looks like not even money can buy you a useful
screen resolution these days ;-) But if you manage to kill a 4gb RAM dual core
2ghz machine with desktop publishing why not get a desktop? You can easily put
a lot of more horsepower into that right now and use your thinkpad for
presentation with small modifications when you are on the road.

Karsten