[ltp] ThinkPad 600... Xubuntu... Maxxed Out Memory

Chris Schumann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 22 Mar 2010 14:33:12 -0500

On 03/22/2010 02:19 PM, Damien Challet wrote:
>> Hi.
>> I have read that the 600 will not take anymore than 288MB. It will not work
>>   with 256MB sticks, which is a shame as if it would I would get some for
>>   it. The 600E and 600X are different.
>>
> I see, thanks for the piece of information.
>
> You can then try to use compcache, which creates a compress swap partition in
> RAM cf
>
> http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=6609064&postcount=10

Let me get this straight: The machine doesn't have enough RAM, so you
take some of that precious RAM and make it unavailable to programs, so
the OS can swap RAM into and out of this reserved RAM, compressing and
uncompressing it when it's needed?

And it's supposed to be faster?

Chris

PS - Too bad you can't get an IDE SSD. That would speed up your
swapping. Oh wait! You can:
http://www.google.com/search?q=ide+ssd
You could also try IDE to CF adapter if you have some high speed CF
cards around.