[ltp] What is the fastest Thinkpad I can get now?

Karsten König linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 23 Mar 2010 03:49:22 +0100

Am Dienstag, 23. März 2010 03:31:02 schrieb John Jason Jordan:
> It looks like a fully decked out W510 is what I need, although the
> Lenovo website fails to state what resolution the screen runs at and a
> bunch of other details.

They somehow fail to tell what systems they actually sell, indicates the
stance Lenovo seems to be taking towards the Thinkpads =/

> Here is an example of my problem: I am currently trying to print a PDF
> to a PS file from Evince. The PDF is 118 pages. I started it 15 minutes
> ago and it has completed 15 pages. In that time one of the the CPUs or
> the other has been at close to 100% the whole time, but the disk light
> hardly ever comes on. The final file size will be < 200 MB, so you know
> it is not lagged from writing to disk. It is the CPU and RAM where the
> bottleneck lies. And I can't continue working on the project until
> Evince completes the PS file.

Maybe it's a gtk problem? There is also okular, in case it's a poppler problem
this won't help but might start cornering the problem.
Or is printing to PS not the only sluggy part? Like anytime you touch your
projects the system crawls?
Maybe check with top or something more sophisticated like htop who is eating
all your system resources, maybe you have a noncooporating task? Also for me a
dying harddisk slowed certain disk accesses really badly a few years ago,
there were no real failures in the SMART log but just switching worked
wonders.

Karsten