[ltp] What is the fastest Thinkpad I can get now? (now OT)

John Jason Jordan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 23 Mar 2010 09:11:33 -0700

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 10:48:56 +0100
Karsten K=C3=B6nig <remur@gmx.net> dijo:

>Am Dienstag, 23. M=C3=A4rz 2010 08:54:36 schrieb John Jason Jordan:
>> >How big is your original file? i.e. is it an A3 book in full
>> >high-res colour, or something more akin to a regular "document"?
>>=20
>> A more interesting question is why Scribus created a 203 MB PDF file
>> when apparently 5 MB was all that was necessary.
>
>I guess you embed alot of images into your documents, sounds like
>Scribus imports them without compressing them (this is a sane default
>to me) and what you achieve through the constant exporting is finally
>some compression of the data, lossless 120 pages pdfs can get really
>big.
>
>But scribus should already be able to compress right when exporting to
>pdf, so you still have an "original" in best possible quality and
>finaly a version that is easy to handle/print.

I do have a lot of images in my file, but they are all vector graphics,
albeit moderately complex. The document is also all black and white,
with half a dozen pages where there is grayscale transparency.

I asked the same question on the Scribus e-list and it generated a lot
of responses. Apparently the problem goes back to the early days of
Scribus when a design decision was made to export text glyph by glyph
rather than line by line, because it gives greater control. Now everyone
realizes that was a mistake, but there are more pressing needs than
fixing it.=20