[ltp] Thinking of leaving Thinkpads

Robert Tomsick linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 29 Mar 2010 14:52:25 -0400

--=-mHazlWWk3j1RuwqV5n3h

On Mon, 2010-03-29 at 20:39 +0200, Mircea Gherzan wrote:
> Timothy Murphy <tim@maths.tcd.ie> wrote:
> > There seem to be lots of problems installing Linux
> > in more recent Thinkpads.
> >=20
> > Any comments?
>=20
> Debian Sid is running flawlessly on my T500. Installing it was seamless. =
There's
> even chance that DisplayPort might be working with a recent kernel/radeon=
-ddx.

I've got a T500, and I actually run Debian stable (Lenny) on it just
fine.  Now admittedly I do use my own kernel (2.6.33.1 + patches), but
pretty much everything works with the stock kernel (with the exception
of the Intel 5xxx wireless, which only is supported in 2.6.27 and later
IIRC.)  The userland certainly has no problem with the hardware, and it
seems to be pretty well supported by mainline drivers.

-Rob

--=-mHazlWWk3j1RuwqV5n3h

--=-mHazlWWk3j1RuwqV5n3h--