[ltp] Temperature sensors on X201s

Wed, 5 May 2010 23:54:28 -0300

On Wed, 05 May 2010, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> - cat /proc/acpi/ibm/thermal gives me just:
>     temperatures:   43 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
>   now 43� is fine, but how come there's only 1 value there.  Are there

Pester Lenovo in their forums about it...  Either there are no sensors
anymore, or they decided to hide them because of the windows fan-control
crowd or some other random reason.

Note that the chipsets, memory (at least on servers), and a lot of other
stuff has thermal sensors embedded nowadays.  It is just that getting to
them is often quite hard.

There is a firmware thermal alarm now, though, so at least you will get
an alert if things are about to catch fire.  Useless for any sort of
runtime tunning...

> - /sys/class/power_supply/BAT0/current_now seems to sometimes report
>   power rather than current (i.e. sometimes it's 1000 times
>   /sys/devices/platform/smapi/BAT0/current_avg and sometimes it's 1000
>   times /sys/devices/platform/smapi/BAT0/power_avg).  Not clear when it
>   changes from one to the other.  powertop also seems confused about it
>   (when current_now correctly gives current, powertop seems to interpret
>   it as power).

make sure you're using the very latest firmware, first.

> - Xorg only works with KMS.  Without it, it crashes the whole system
>   (black screen, typically with blinking caps-lock led, tho not always).

Report it through the distro, I think.  KMS pratically requires
bleeding-edge backports in the kernel and userspace...

> - hibernate tends to corrupt some part of the memory (I have the same
>   thing on my MSI Wind, where disabling KMS works around the problem).

Yikes.  Report to distro.

  Henrique Holschuh