[ltp] T41 opinions please

Robert Tomsick linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 09 May 2010 05:20:37 +0100

--=-c4y03efEV3OS7jIQ8z0C

On Sat, 2010-05-08 at 20:27 -0700, bhaskins@chartermi.net wrote:
> A close friend of mine has run into a buy on a like-new T41 at a good pri=
ce.=20
> He asked for my opinion but this is one model that I have not used.=20
> Are there any known problems with this model?=20

Models with discrete graphics cards (i.e. not the integrated Intel ones)
are at risk of an early death due to complications arising from heat and
motherboard flex.

There are a number of threads on this issue over at
http://forums.thinkpads.com .  An excerpt from one of them
( http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=3D56468 ) is included below:

--- snip from ajkula66 ---
"T43 models coded with 26xx-xxx used ATi X300 graphics chip (64Mb),
while ones with integrated video were coded 18xx-xxx. T43p machines used
ATi FireGl V3200 chip (128Mb)...=20

In my experience, T43 is by far the most reliable T4x model, as loaded
as it may be with some other potential headaches-none of which is as
serious as this one...=20

As for "late" T42s, I'd be looking at production dates...later the
better, and I agree that I'd be running away from anything with ATi 7500
card in T4x package..."
--- snip ---

and=20

--- snip from richk ---
Just my 2 cents worth, I have seen lots of failures on the Redeon 9000
[sic] and I have found the highest failure rate on T41s.
--- snip ---

=46rom all that I've read it's not a certainty that you'll end up with a
dead ThinkPad, but it is something to keep in mind.  Even if you do get
one of the affected models you can minimize the risk of failure with
some care.  If you're unlucky enough to experience failure anyway, there
are some repair techniques that have fairly good success rates.

All that said, the easiest solution is just to seek out a T41 with
either an integrated GPU, or a refurbished T4x with a warranty.  There
are some places out there that sell refurbs and offer aftermarket
warranties, so that's an option if you're willing to spend the money.

Personally I think you might be better off with a T60 or T60p as these
don't have any such problems (courtesy of the roll-cage).  Even the ones
with high-res FlexView screens are pretty cheap nowadays.

Good luck!
-Rob

--=-c4y03efEV3OS7jIQ8z0C

--=-c4y03efEV3OS7jIQ8z0C--