[ltp] T41 opinions please

Mon, 10 May 2010 16:15:42 +0300

--PmA2V3Z32TCmWXqI

On Sun, May 09, 2010 at 09:52:50AM -0700, Jay Brooks wrote:
> T41 had a graphics chip overheat issue.  Not a big deal if you add a
> heatsink to it.  Would I buy one ... no.  Its a old system and the
> radion 7500 m has the worst support in linux. I have a t30 and it uses
> the same gpu.

Interesting you say that.  I had a T42 with Radeon Mobility 7500, which
had working 3D accel years ago with the open-source driver.  My main
issue was that the 3D engine was limited to 2048x2048 textures, which
meant no Compiz on a dual-head 1024x768 + 1280x1024 screen.

There were two problems with my T42:

  * USB 2.0 didn't work.  I could plug in any USB 1.0 device and it was
    fine, but USB 2.0 stopped working at some point.  I suspect a
    badly-made no-name USB-to-IrDA dongle that made the machine reset as
    soon as I plugged it in.

  * the machine died soon after I gave it away to a coworker.  I'm not
    sure what happened there -- hairline crack in the motherboard?
    something with the video card?  IIRC flexing the bevel even slightly
    caused garbage to appear on the screen and the machine froze up.

Marius Gedminas
--=20
I code in vi because I don't want to learn another OS. :)
                -- Robert Love

--PmA2V3Z32TCmWXqI

--PmA2V3Z32TCmWXqI--