[ltp] W500 DisplayPort Intel GMA vs Radeon 3650

Mon, 31 May 2010 15:57:40 +0200

Hi all,

I have a W500 with two graphic cards. One is the Intel GMA 4500 and the other is a ATI Radeon Mobile 3650. I disabled the ati in bios as I don't need the  extra 3d power.  I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 64bit.

But no I face an issue: I can't get the Intel card working on the displayport. VGA works fine but the image is a bit blurred on high res.
xrandr tells me there is an DP1 but nothing is connected.

I googled a bit and it looks like the intel graphic card can't use or is not attached to the displayport. Does anyone of you have any further information on this ?

What I can tell is if I boot with the intel setup the external monitor is pitch black. If I switch to ati card the monitor shows the boot process. So I'm not too confident this can be fixed by software.

Anyway I switched to the opensource radeon driver. This gave my indeed what I wanted for a couple of minutes. Then out a sudden (10-15 minutes after normal work) the internal display just got some kind of blurry effect. It's hard to describe. Thin black lines for instance are flickering blueish. The fonts are readable but it appears every 2nd row has some sort of misinformation. The background of the console window is not black anymore. For my eye it appears some grey color is added.  And a couple of other nasty features. If I power down and start up again it is fine for 5-10 minutes. I suspect this might be a temperature issue. I noticed the GPU has around 60° degree Celsius.   Does anyone have an idea what happens here ?

Next I decided I try the fglrx (10.5) driver. Well at the moment this blurry feature is gone (GPU is around 45°), though I will continue to do some long term investigations. Of course now I struggle other problems suspend, switch to console,...

I'm a bit scared because of this blurry feature. The laptop is a week old.

Rightnow I'm thinking of how I could get a proper setup. I'd like to use the Ati card only if is absolutely necessary (in my case external monitor via displayport). Does anyone of you have a similar setup and maybe a solution for it ?

I guess there is no auto switch graphic card utility in linux yet. I'm just wondering if it could be switched during boot (grub boot parameter) to pick one graphic card. I just don't know if it is possible to completely shutdown the intel and ati card by linux. Any pointers ?

Best regards,

Marcel