[ltp] Re: WARNING: Lenovo ThinkPads and 65W power supplies

Karsten König linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 6 Nov 2010 17:50:26 +0100

Am Samstag, 6. November 2010, 15:39:37 schrieb Pedro Ribeiro:
> 2010/11/6 Csillag Tamas <cstamas@digitus.itk.ppke.hu>:

> >> The 90W supply that came with my W500 claims 20V 4.5A
> >
> > It is the same for T500. It is also clearly labelled as 90W on the
> > first line.
> >
> > Regards,
> >  cstamas
> > --
> > CSILLAG Tamas (cstamas) - http://digitus.itk.ppke.hu/~cstamas
> >
> > --
>
> My T400 (P8400 and intel GPU) came with a 65W power adapter.
>
> It never draws more than 45W in full load. But I guess if I'm charging
> the battery and working at full load it can probably go over 65W.
>
> Thanks for the warning. The only problem with this is that 90W power
> supplies seem to be unrealiable...
>
> Regards,
> Pedro

My T400 with dual graphics comes with a 90W PSU, a friends R400 with Intel
graphics with a 65W PSU so I guess in the more recent Thinkpads it boils down
to the graphic adapter (the Radeon can draw alot of power under load)

Still I wonder what would be the worst case scenario? A freezing laptop right?
And maybe damaging the PSU but that should be covered by a fuse anyway.

Regards,
Karsten