[ltp] T61 and xrandr

immeëmosol linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 06 Nov 2010 04:20:01 +0100

On ven, 2010-11-05 at 13:42 -0700, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out how to get my main screen to project. Note
> that I am an idiot and have no idea how all this stuff works. Are there
> settings in xrandr to fix which side projects? Or are there better
> tools to use than xrandr? What if I used the proprietary nVidia driver?
> Has anyone done this successfully with a T61 with nVidia graphics?

I think impress uses the `primary monitor` for its presentation.
in terminal you can type:
xrandr --help
or you can type:
man xrandr
which gives some information on how to configure the screens.

Another thing your linux-distribution might have is called
gnome-display-properties, it should detect the extra monitor.
In gnome-display-properties, the monitor which is highlighted green or
blue or whatever, it has a box-shaped_line which the other picture of a
screen does not have, anyway, that is the "main/primary monitor".
If it doesn't detect it at first there are two things which can easily
be tried. First thing you can try is: logout and login again, hopefully
restarting the X-server. If that does not work out, the second thing can
be tried: restart the computer with the projector cable plugged in and
the projector powered on.

Other option:
You can point a projector-connected camera at your screen.

Anyway, good luck.