[ltp] T61 and xrandr

Micha Feigin linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 13 Nov 2010 04:12:04 +0200

On Tue, 9 Nov 2010 15:58:23 -0800
John Jason Jordan <johnxj@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Nov 2010 13:42:13 -0700
> John Jason Jordan <johnxj@comcast.net> dijo:
>
> >I will soon need to give a presentation in a local university
> >classroom.
>
> Thanks to everyone who replied, and apologies for not responding
> sooner. I was able to take my T61 with me and try it in the classroom
> again only today. Between the previous attempt and this time I
> installed the nVidia proprietary driver. It was in the rpmfusion
> repository for my Fedora 13 x86_64, making it trivial to install.
>
> Using the nVidia GUI configuration utility I was able to get the
> projector to display my desktop, but only at 1024 x 768, even though I
> think the projector is capable of 1280 x 1064 (not positive about
> that last comment).
>
> Using "Twinview" in the nVidia settings utility I could see both the
> projector screen and my Thinkpad screen, but it displayed only the upper
> left 1024 x 768 of the Thinkpad monitor, which runs at 1680 x 1050.
> Using "Separate X Screen" I got my full 1680 x 1050 on the projector
> screen, but scrunched, and worse, all I could see was the projector
> screen; the laptop monitor went to black.
>
> Note that the presentation I am going to give is about desktop
> publishing with Scribus on Linux. I need every pixel I can scrape up.
>
> I was imposing on the computer help staff to gain access to the room
> today, so I'll have to go back for further experimenting later.
> Meantime, I'm going to go back to the nouveau driver and try to figure
> out how to tell xrandr what I want. I've used the open source drivers
> since I first bought this Thinkpad a couple years ago and never had the
> slightest problem with them, so I'm just as happy going back to them. I
> understand that xrandr does not work with the proprietary nVidia
> drivers.
>
> Now I'm off to Google and man pages to see if I can figure out how to
> use xrandr. If anyone has any further suggestions, they would be most
> welcome.

Probably the same with xrandr, you need to set both screens to the same
resolution and then you'll see the same desktop, no scrolling. I don't think
that I ran into any system that knows how to do it otherwise.

As for projectors, if you need more that 1024x768 people probably won't be able
to see it on screen. I also haven't seen any standard projectors go above this
resolution yet.