[ltp] Thinkcentre M51 USB hotplug issue

Jason Brooks linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 14 Nov 2010 23:38:10 -0800

sounds like a problem with fuse (a user accessible mount system). Make
sure the users that are logged in and can't mount a thumb drive have
access to it. Also check to make sure the media directory doesn't have
a permission problem.

Check your logs:
tail -f /var/log/messages

dmesg

lsusb

It may tell you why it didn't mount. Give you a clue.

My opinion is it is a permission problem or a unclean device that just
needs to be scandisked or something

You can also login as root. See if it mounts as root. That will tell
you right away if it is a permission thing.

On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 5:55 AM, Nate Bargmann <n0nb@n0nb.us> wrote:
> I realize this is the Thinkpad list but there are some very knowledgable
> folks on this list so I'll ask anyway. =C2=A0:-)
>
> I have a second hand ThinkCentre M51 (8143-34U) that overall works very
> well except it has an oddity with hotplugging USB devices into any of
> the built in USB ports, the kernel never sees the event. =C2=A0I have a P=
CI