[ltp] Thinkcentre M51 USB hotplug issue

Dmitry E. Mikhailov linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 15 Nov 2010 20:57:21 +0500

On Monday 15 November 2010 17:10, Joerg Bruehe wrote:
> This sounds frightening.
No, it doesn't. Only desktop motherboards for Pentium4 on Intel chipset are
notorious for this failure mode. Otherwise it's possible (as anything else in
our life) but unlikely.

> How can a user protect against this?
Ordered by decrease of effectivity.
1) Most effective. Power off a PC and USB device before connecting it. Not
quite Plug&Play, sorry. But it surely eliminate the problem. Yes, with my
$5500 server I do just that. But I very rarely connect anything to it.

2) Use an add-on (PCI/PCI-E/Cardbus) USB controller. If sh*t happens, you'll
replace it instead of the motherboard.

3) Use a powered USB hub.

4) Least effective. Touch the metal USB connector by your bare hand, then
touch the metal (conductive, not painted) part of a PC with your (second?)
bare hand, then connect the device.

But if you don't have a Pentium4 desktop with intel chipset motherboard, I
wouldn't bother at all unless that device is very important for you.

I've inserted a hell lot of USB devices onto my 4+ year old X41 and it's still
happily running.