[ltp] Perfect timing!! ( ..hibernate/restore problems with recent distros )

bhaskins linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 22 Nov 2010 16:50:45 -0500

Steven J. Owens wrote:
> Hey,

>      I'm on 10.4 on my still-not-dead-yet thinkpad t43p.  I reopened a
> bug (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/607064)
> about the wireless problem, which went from bad to much worse when I
> upgraded to lucid.
>
>      I eventually ended up trying something that somebody in a
> linksys router from dd-wrt to tomato.  My wireless works fine now,
> aside from occasionally disconnecting when I leave it alone too long.
>
>      I had the hibernation issue on an earlier version, but I switched
> to using suspend-to-ram and haven't tried hibernating since.
>
>      This sort of thing is frustrating, but I think it's important to
> step back and remember _why_ it's so frustrating - because linux
> distros have come a heck of a long way since the early days.  It's
> easy to get used to them working so well, so when they fail, it's
> quite jarring :-).

Yep, and especially so for me since I'm stuck in a time-warp.
I make heavy use of the s and p ports ( in lab apps ) on my Thinkpads
and the USB "patch"
cards have been a very poor substitute and of course, newer LTs don't
even have these ports.

I'm not happy with blaming this problem on the Intel cards as I have had
much the same
problem with other wireless cards and once again, everything was fine up
to 10.4.

I just finished trying one of my boxes on debian lenny... a big waste of
time since both
problems were at best, worse.
The wireless would not stay up for more than a few seconds at a time and
( function + F4 ) hibernate didn't even bother to shut off the backlight
let alone return from hibernation with a readable screen ( looks like
sand all over the screen like some fedora versions).

I think it will be a real shame if a once rock-solid OS has to go down
the drain just for the sake of stupid eye candy.
I almost wonder if the Ubuntu people have hired a bunch of m???????t dips.
BSOD envy perhaps?

Thanks for your answer,
Bert