[ltp] hdd noise

Helen Borrie linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 29 Nov 2010 15:59:44 +1300

At 03:27 PM 29/11/2010, Steven J. Owens wrote:
>On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 11:14:12AM +1300, Helen Borrie wrote:
>> >Buy a Hitachi drive. I use them since about 8 year, currently two HTS725050A9A364: No noise, no vibrations.
>> >I will have a look on SSDs in five years (again).
>>
>> +1 to that.  I've always used Hitachi drives on my Thinkpads (2 X T42, both using PATA, 1 X T60, which has two SATA HDDs, one in the Ultrabay) and neither disk noise *nor* fan noise has ever been an issue. I do have one external Seagate (used occasionally) which *is* noisy.
>
>     I've thought about upgrading my hard drive (currently a t43p with
>stock 60GB 7200rpm drive, which is kinda small by today's standards),
>but in the past I've read that anything but the exact same drive will
>cause the thinkpad's bios to complain on bootup.  Is this no longer
>the case?

It hasn't been the case in any of my experiences with Thinkpads - from a 390E forward! <g>  The 390E (circa 1999-vintage) came to me with a dead HDD.  A 40GB 5200 rpm drive went in to replace the dead 4 GB one and it ran RedHat or Mandrake/Mandriva flawlessly for me, acting as the webserver for my Intranet for 8 years until I sold it last year on eBay.

The two T42s had 5200 rpm Hitachi drives replaced with 5200 rpm Hitachis of higher capacity.  The T60 came with an 80GB Hitachi (5200, I think) which was replaced with a 250Gb/7200 rpm Hitachi without any BIOS hiccups.  The Ultrabay has a 120Gb/7200 rpm Hitachi that wasn't even Lenovo-supplied: it came off a new Macbook.

H.