[ltp] hdd noise

Jason Brooks linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 28 Nov 2010 20:45:10 -0800

Am I the only one who thinks getting a new drive because of noise
seems like a lame fix?
Just a comment no offense or anything.  I do like the speed you can
get out of a ssd even on a older system. It is a expensive fix for the
problem.

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 6:59 PM, Helen Borrie <helebor@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> [...]
25050A9A364: No noise, no vibrations.

>>> +1 to that. =C2=A0I've always used Hitachi drives on my Thinkpads (2 X =
T42, both using PATA, 1 X T60, which has two SATA HDDs, one in the Ultrabay=
) and neither disk noise *nor* fan noise has ever been an issue. I do have =
one external Seagate (used occasionally) which *is* noisy.

>> =C2=A0 =C2=A0 I've thought about upgrading my hard drive (currently a t4=
3p with
>>stock 60GB 7200rpm drive, which is kinda small by today's standards),
>>but in the past I've read that anything but the exact same drive will
>>cause the thinkpad's bios to complain on bootup. =C2=A0Is this no longer
>>the case?
>
> It hasn't been the case in any of my experiences with Thinkpads - from a =
390E forward! <g> =C2=A0The 390E (circa 1999-vintage) came to me with a dea=
d HDD. =C2=A0A 40GB 5200 rpm drive went in to replace the dead 4 GB one and=
 it ran RedHat or Mandrake/Mandriva flawlessly for me, acting as the webser=
ver for my Intranet for 8 years until I sold it last year on eBay.

> The two T42s had 5200 rpm Hitachi drives replaced with 5200 rpm Hitachis =
of higher capacity. =C2=A0The T60 came with an 80GB Hitachi (5200, I think)=
 which was replaced with a 250Gb/7200 rpm Hitachi without any BIOS hiccups.=
 =C2=A0The Ultrabay has a 120Gb/7200 rpm Hitachi that wasn't even Lenovo-su=
pplied: it came off a new Macbook.