[ltp] W700DS disable lcd off on lid switch

Dave Cunningham linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 16 Sep 2010 19:37:31 -0400

--0016364ed346040cbf049068ee35

The W700DS has a colorimeter (
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Huey_PRO_Colorimeter) that requires the lcd
screen to be on when the lid is shut.  However it seems this kind of laptop
is unique in that this mechanism is impossible to disable.  While the usual
ACPI events are issued, even if they are ignored (acpi=off, acpid not
running, scripts not registered for such events, etc) there is something
turning off the lcd still.  I have noticed in Windows Vista, even if I set
the 'action on lid shut' configuration item to "do nothing", this does not
stop the lcd being turned off when the lid is shut.

I have looked through the bios menus and seen nothing promising.

In windows, the colorimeter is handled by some proprietary software that
somehow manages to burn through the lcd off mechanism and enable the screen
even though the lid is shut.  I have no idea how it does this though, or how
to reproduce it in Linux.  I know about xset dpms force on/off, these are in
fact used by the acpid scripts to control the screen normally.  Neither seem
to be powerful enough to override this mysterious mechanism.

So I'm looking for one of two things basically.  Either

1) Some way to keep the lcd on when the lid is shut

or
2) Some way of enabling the lcd again after the lid has been shut, just
before running the calibration routine.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

thanks

--0016364ed346040cbf049068ee35

The W700DS has a colorimeter (<a href=3D"http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Huey=
_PRO_Colorimeter">http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Huey_PRO_Colorimeter</a>) t=
hat requires the lcd screen to be on when the lid is shut.=A0 However it se=
ems this kind of laptop is unique in that this mechanism is impossible to d=
isable.=A0 While the usual ACPI events are issued, even if they are ignored=
 (acpi=3Doff, acpid not running, scripts not registered for such events, et=
c) there is something turning off the lcd still.=A0 I have noticed in Windo=
ws Vista, even if I set the &#39;action on lid shut&#39; configuration item=
 to &quot;do nothing&quot;, this does not stop the lcd being turned off whe=
n the lid is shut.<br>
>In windows, the colorimeter is handled by some proprietary software that s=
omehow manages to burn through the lcd off mechanism and enable the screen =
even though the lid is shut.=A0 I have no idea how it does this though, or =
how to reproduce it in Linux.=A0 I know about xset dpms force on/off, these=
 are in fact used by the acpid scripts to control the screen normally.=A0 N=
either seem to be powerful enough to override this mysterious mechanism.<br=

ay of enabling the lcd again after the lid has been shut, just before runni=
ng the calibration routine.<br>

--0016364ed346040cbf049068ee35--