[ltp] RE: Fan speed increased on my T400s

Petar Milin linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 20 Sep 2010 16:35:40 +0300

Hello!
Bottom line, I got two advices how to control and regulate fan speed in
Debian testing i386, on my T400s:
(1) thinkfan:
     - create a file called /etc/modprobe.d/thinkpad_acpi.conf with its
contents being "options thinkpad_acpi fan_control=1"
     - install thinkfan from apt-get, aptitude, or synaptic
     - edit /etc/default/thinkfan so that the 5th line reads: START=yes
     - reboot

(2) ThinkPad Fan Control:
     - install tpfand and tpfan-admin from source following instructions
at http://hurl.no/nn0
     (I am not sure about Ubuntu prebuilt packages, and if they would
work properly on Debian testing!)

My question still if which of the two would be better, safety wise?

Best,
PM