[ltp] New ThinkPad series

Damon Lynch linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 5 Apr 2011 18:20:13 -0500

--0016e6d7eaa3473cec04a0341e0e

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 4:17 PM, Clark Williams <williams@redhat.com> wrote:

> Anyone actually used expresscard with their Thinkpad Edge?

I don't use Fedora but I can speak of experience with Ubuntu under a
Thinkpad T400s.

In Ubuntu 10.10 and earlier, I could plug in an ExpressCard USB 3 device
after the machine had booted. Any USB 3 hard drives attached would be
recognized and mounted (actually getting USB 3 drives to work reliably under
Linux is another question).

With Ubuntu 11.04, this is no longer the case. The ExpressCard USB 3 device
works only if it is in the laptop before booting. If you insert it after
boot, there is nothing in dmesg to indicate the system recognizes it.

It's the same for my ExpressCard CompactFlash reader. It works as expected
in Ubuntu 10.10, but only if inserted at boot time under Ubuntu 11.04.

This is a clear regression. I've filed a bug but since I am not an expert I
don't know how to diagnose its cause; I suspect the bug report will languish
because of this.

I hope that helps.

Damon

--
http://www.damonlynch.net

--0016e6d7eaa3473cec04a0341e0e

span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:williams@redhat.com">williams@redhat=
rgin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">
Anyone actually used expresscard with their Thinkpad Edge?<br>
on&#39;t use Fedora but I can speak of experience with Ubuntu under a Think=
pad T400s. <br><br>In Ubuntu 10.10 and earlier, I could plug in an ExpressC=
ard USB 3 device after the machine had booted. Any USB 3 hard drives attach=
ed would be recognized and mounted (actually getting USB 3 drives to work r=
eliably under Linux is another question). <br>
vice works only if it is in the laptop before booting. If you insert it aft=
er boot, there is nothing in dmesg to indicate the system recognizes it. <b=
r>
xpected in Ubuntu 10.10, but only if inserted at boot time under Ubuntu 11.=
04.<br><br>This is a clear regression. I&#39;ve filed a bug but since I am =
not an expert I don&#39;t know how to diagnose its cause; I suspect the bug=
 report will languish because of this. <br>
onlynch.net">http://www.damonlynch.net</a><br>

--0016e6d7eaa3473cec04a0341e0e--