[ltp] Re: What to take care of when buying a Lenovo? revisited

Micha Feigin linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 15 Apr 2011 13:31:34 +0300

On 14/04/11 18:59, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> Three years have passed since you said this, does your advice still
>> stand?
>
> I can't speak for him, but with regards to politics, the situation
> hasn't changed w.r.t nVidia which is still completely uncooperative.
> ATI/AMD on the other hand is now very cooperative for its GPUs (not sure
> how it compares to Intel nowadays, but judging from the quality of the
> drivers it seems to be in the same ballpark).
>
> I don't know if the situation in terms of power usage has changed much.
> Based on technical specs of recent AMD and NVidia chipsets for
> nettop-level systems, it seems like the difference between Intel and
> AMD/NVidia has been reduced, but practice tends to be very different
> from theory (especially when you add a Free Software requirement into
> the mix), so don't take my word for it.
>
>> Has the situation improved with nVidia drivers?
>
> There are now 2D Free Software drivers for most NVidia chipsets and they
> work OK.  But this is *despite* NVidia rather than thanks to them, so
> it's now on par with AMD/Intel's support and progresses slower.
>
>> If one were to buy an T420s today and had to choose between  IntelŽ HD
>> 3000 and NVIDIAŽ QuadroŽ NVS4200M, which one is the one to get? Is
>> there a chance nVidia drivers will improve to a point in the next
>> three years that it will be worthwhile to have an nVidia optimus card
>> running under Linux? And lastly, is there any harm in getting the
>> laptop with the nVidia chip and disabling it for the time being if the
>> price of the two T420s is nearly the same?
>
> I'd recommend you vote with your wallet and stay away from NVidia.

Although my experience is that the NVIDIA closed source drivers are much better
than the ATI ones, so it's also a question of whether you insist on open source
drivers, which are 2D only for NVIDIA, or are willing to work with the
proprietary ones.