[ltp] Re: What to take care of when buying a Lenovo? revisited

Sat, 16 Apr 2011 18:43:05 -0400

On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 5:17 PM, John Sullivan <john@wjsullivan.net> wrote:
> Robert Tomsick <robert@tomsick.net> writes:
>
>> Unless I'm mistaken, noveau does support 3D, although the support is
>> very much a work in progress. =A0I know it can support compositing WMs a=
nd
>> some games, and I know it's good enough to give me pretty shadows and
>> translucency, etc. on my desktop.
>
> Yes, that's right.
>
> Also, the ATI free drivers require a rather substantial proprietary
> blob -- nowadays for 2D as well as 3D, since 2D is emulated.

2D isn't emulated, it's just that there is no 2D hardware on newer
chips so the 3D hardware is used for everything.  All radeons require
firmware for the command processor.  Same as CPUs and lots of other
devices (wireless cards, scsi cards, etc.).

Alex