[ltp] Thinkpad runs hot under Ubuntu but not Windows

Rickey Williams linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 22 Apr 2011 13:01:48 +0800

I am running Ubuntu 10.10 64-bit on a Lenovo Thinkpad T400. My core
temps average 75-77C and my GPU temp average 85-87C. I've configured the
BIOS to use the "Balanced" setting instead of "Maximize Performance" for
the CPU and I've also modified the GRUB menu to use the
"acpi_osi=Linux" option which has helped lower the temps a little but
not significantly. Yet in Windows 7, the same temps are 10-15C cooler.
These temps are based on normal use and not when playing games or
ripping movies.

Without the above configuration settings, I can be downloading and
installing updates in Ubuntu (where there are a lot of them) and the
core temps will begin to creep up into the 90s and if I let it continue,
the laptop will perform a thermal shutdown. But even with the above
configuration changes, the CPU temps average 77C and when I want to
reboot, the laptop will not restart unless I let it cool down for about
5 minutes. After that, it will boot normally.

Does anyone have any ideas why these temps are so high and more
importantly what I can do to make my laptop run cooler under Ubuntu?

-Rickey