[ltp] t43p, PXE-E61 Media Test Failure, Error 0200 Failure Fixed Disk 1, Operating System Not Found

Steven J. Owens linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 29 Apr 2011 07:33:47 +0000

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 12:41:08PM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Apr 2011, Steven J. Owens wrote:
> >      On a hunch, I yanked the battery and rebooted, it booted up fine.
> > It appeared to be booting from the hard drive, not the USB drive, so I
> > unmounted the USB drive and rebooted; it rebooted fine.  So I ran my
> > backup scripts and... now what?   Order a new battery?
>
> Yes, that one is shorting something.  Do not plug it again, it might damage
> the planar card permanently.

     Oh joy...

> It is also possible that the planar card is damaged, and the battery is
> actually fine.

     What are the implications if the planar card is damaged?  Is it
replacable or should I scrap the whole thinkpad?

> You'd need a kwown-good battery to test this easily.

     I've just tested this with a possibly-good thinkpad battery.  I
saw similar behavior as with the original battery.

     I'm not *certain* of the condition of the battery.  I pulled it
from an old t42 that's been lying in a closet for six months due to a
broken LCD connector.  The battery LED kept blinking while I was
trying it, even though I left the laptop shut for a good half-hour
before trying resuming.

     One thought is that maybe I should plug the battery in via the
old t42 thinkpad and let it charge up, then try this again.

--
Steven J. Owens
puff@darksleep.com / (412) 401-8060 cell