[ltp] Re: Fedora on T400: 32-bit or 64-bit?

Stefan Monnier linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 01 Aug 2011 11:17:11 -0400

>> So my question is this: Should I go back to 32-bit PAE kernels, or
>> knuckle down and keep 64-bit and try to improve it for me and
>> everyone else?
> You can also use a 64-bit kernel and 32-bit userland.  That would easily
> tell you where the problem really is (userland or kernel).

My guess is that it will just add a few more unknowns in the equations,
leaving the issue a bit more muddled.  This kind of combination seems to
be rarely used and hence little tested and has historically suffered
from various problems (I've tried to use it several times, but always
bumped into one problem or another where some low-level 32bit userland
(wpa-supplicant, uswsusp, ...) failed when running on a 64bit kernel
because the syscalls were not supported; over time this has slowly
improved, so maybe it works a bit better now, but I wouldn't hold my
breath).

        Stefan