[ltp] Thinkpad_EC not affected by buttons

Wade Curry linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 14 Aug 2011 00:43:20 -0700

Hello,

I am running gentoo linux on a W500, kernel version 3.0.1.  The
parameters for thinkpad-acpi look like this:

thinkpad-acpi experimental=1 fan_control=1 enable=1 index=1 volume_mode=3 \
             volume_capabilities=1 volume_control=1

The problem is that my mute button has stopped working several
kernels back.  The button press sends signals fine, but I was under
the impression that this was a "hardware mute".  I could previously
press the mute button during boot and mute the speakers.  The
volume buttons would unmute, but never affected the volume.

I can see the Thinkpad_EC alsa device in alsamixer with both mute
and volume controls, but the buttons have no effect on it.
Furthermore, if I use alsamixer controls to change settings on
thinkpad_EC, it has no discernible effects on sound output.

Anyone have a clue for me?

Thanks!

Wade Curry