[ltp] T520 won't resume from sleep (suspend to ram) properly

Tue, 16 Aug 2011 17:51:06 -0700

I am frustrated that I can't find a solution to this. My new Thinkpad T52=
0
has never properly resumed from suspend-to-ram.

It sleeps fine when I press FN-F4, then wakes up fast when I press FN
only. However, even though the screen is recovered and the mouse cursor
moves, I can't activate any menus, select any windows, use the keyboard,
or do anything productive. The only way I can recover is to force a hard
reboot by pressing and holding the power button for 5 seconds (argh!).

There was this thread on debian-laptop thoroughly describing the same iss=
ue:

http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-laptop@lists.debian.org/msg52285.html

a few months ago with no real solution- Martin Steigerwald suggested that
upgrading the kernel would solve the problem, but I have moved up to
version 3.1.0-rc1 with no luck.

/var/log/pm-suspend.log says everything is successful.

If I try a suspend to disk (FN-F12) I get a pop-up window error message
that says: "Failed to Suspend Computer Failed to Suspend. Failure was
reported as: Cannot hibernate".

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am running Debian with th=
3.1.0-rc1 kernel, 4Gb ram, onboard integrated Intel graphics only, SSD
drive, standard gnome desktop, MBR boot.

Something I changed in the kernel config may have contributed to the
problem? However the suspend to ram never worked even from the initial
clean install from the Live CD I used (2.6.32-5-amd64) nor the clean
install of 3.1.0-rc1.

thanks,
Keith Ostertag