[ltp] T520 won't resume from sleep (suspend to ram) properly

Adrian Bastholm linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 17 Aug 2011 07:03:18 +0200

--20cf3074b30228e14e04aaac6a2b

The ubuntu live cd sleeps and resumes fine, so maybe you can have a look at
the kernel config, sleep and resume scripts, and see what's different .
Maybe you can even use those scripts .

Adrian
Den 17 aug 2011 02:51 skrev <keitho@strucktower.com>:
> I am frustrated that I can't find a solution to this. My new Thinkpad T520
> has never properly resumed from suspend-to-ram.
>
> It sleeps fine when I press FN-F4, then wakes up fast when I press FN
> only. However, even though the screen is recovered and the mouse cursor
> moves, I can't activate any menus, select any windows, use the keyboard,
> or do anything productive. The only way I can recover is to force a hard
> reboot by pressing and holding the power button for 5 seconds (argh!).
>
> There was this thread on debian-laptop thoroughly describing the same
issue:

> http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-laptop@lists.debian.org/msg52285.html
>
> a few months ago with no real solution- Martin Steigerwald suggested that
> upgrading the kernel would solve the problem, but I have moved up to
> version 3.1.0-rc1 with no luck.
>
> /var/log/pm-suspend.log says everything is successful.
>
> If I try a suspend to disk (FN-F12) I get a pop-up window error message
> that says: "Failed to Suspend Computer Failed to Suspend. Failure was
> reported as: Cannot hibernate".
>
> Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am running Debian with the
> 3.1.0-rc1 kernel, 4Gb ram, onboard integrated Intel graphics only, SSD
> drive, standard gnome desktop, MBR boot.
>
> Something I changed in the kernel config may have contributed to the
> problem? However the suspend to ram never worked even from the initial
> clean install from the Live CD I used (2.6.32-5-amd64) nor the clean
> install of 3.1.0-rc1.
>
> thanks,
> Keith Ostertag
>
> --

--20cf3074b30228e14e04aaac6a2b

 at the kernel config, sleep and resume scripts, and see what&#39;s differe=
nt . Maybe you can even use those scripts .</p>
to:keitho@strucktower.com">keitho@strucktower.com</a>&gt;:<br type=3D"attri=
bution">&gt; I am frustrated that I can&#39;t find a solution to this. My n=
ew Thinkpad T520<br>
&gt; has never properly resumed from suspend-to-ram.<br>&gt; <br>&gt; It sl=
eeps fine when I press FN-F4, then wakes up fast when I press FN<br>&gt; on=
ly. However, even though the screen is recovered and the mouse cursor<br>
&gt; moves, I can&#39;t activate any menus, select any windows, use the key=
board,<br>&gt; or do anything productive. The only way I can recover is to =
force a hard<br>&gt; reboot by pressing and holding the power button for 5 =
seconds (argh!).<br>
&gt; <br>&gt; There was this thread on debian-laptop thoroughly describing =
the same issue:<br>&gt; <br>&gt; <a href=3D"http://www.mail-archive.com/deb=
ian-laptop@lists.debian.org/msg52285.html">http://www.mail-archive.com/debi=
an-laptop@lists.debian.org/msg52285.html</a><br>
&gt; <br>&gt; a few months ago with no real solution- Martin Steigerwald su=
ggested that<br>&gt; upgrading the kernel would solve the problem, but I ha=
r/log/pm-suspend.log says everything is successful.<br>
&gt; <br>&gt; If I try a suspend to disk (FN-F12) I get a pop-up window err=
or message<br>&gt; that says: &quot;Failed to Suspend Computer Failed to Su=
spend. Failure was<br>&gt; reported as: Cannot hibernate&quot;.<br>&gt; <br=

&gt; Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am running Debian with=
 the<br>&gt; 3.1.0-rc1 kernel, 4Gb ram, onboard integrated Intel graphics o=
Something I changed in the kernel config may have contributed to the<br>
&gt; problem? However the suspend to ram never worked even from the initial=
ertag<br>
&gt; <br>&gt; -- <br>&gt; The linux-thinkpad mailing list home page is at:<=
br>&gt; <a href=3D"http://mailman.linux-thinkpad.org/mailman/listinfo/linux=