[ltp] R50 RAM

cr linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 17 Aug 2011 20:21:06 +1200

More a hardware question than a Linux question, though it is running Debian
Lenny - please excuse the slight OT

I have a R50 Type 1830 with 512MB of RAM, 256 in the accessible slot and (I
think) 256 out of sight inside.    Most references I can find say the R50
uses PC2700 / 333MHz RAM, so I got a 1GB PC2700  and put it in, it would run
Grub and start Debian but then it hung solid, several times.   I put back the
256MB which is labelled '266MHz' and it works, and Gnome Hardinfo says
there's 512MB of RAM installed.

Several questions - did IBM change the RAM speed at some point i.e. is 266 the
right speed for my R50, regardless of what the references say?   Can the
internal RAM (presumably 256MB?) be changed as well as the accessible RAM?
(The biggest RAM I can get in 266MHz SODIMM seems to be 512MB).

Any pointers welcomed.

cr