[ltp] ACPI troubles on X220t "convertible" tablet-PC

Dan Saint-Andre linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 20 Dec 2011 18:45:30 -0600

--=-m05DvZnZENx5Rf9bEw1b

AN OBSERVATION:
Does anyone know why the X220t "convertible" is notably absent from
ThinkWiki
in spite of that hardware being several months (years?) old ... or did I
miss something?

MY SYMPTOMS:
Several of the "extra buttons" and other ACPI events do not happen on my
X220t,
"convertible" tablet-PC.  I'm running Linux Mint-12, 64-bit with current
"mint-update"
applied.

Some example troubles using 'acpi_listen' to watch what happens:

=== ThinkVantage does not report
=== Screen bezel Screen Rotation "orientation" button does not report
=== Screen bezel Secure Attn Sequence "swirling arrow" button does not
report
=== Stylus_Removed does not report
=== Stylus_Stored does not report
=== Screen_Rotate_Tablet does not report
=== Screen_Rotate_Laptop does not report
=== Mic Mute button does not report

I'm sure there are more, but these are all that I've firmly identified
** MORE IMPORTANTly ** these are all that I know how to identify.

A QUESTION:
Do I need to add boot-time or login-time scripting to activate ACPI
reporting or take
similar actions?

A QUESTION:
Now that startup is all automatic and event-driven ('upstart' for
*buntu) where
is the place that one puts end-user boot-time processing?  Do we still
use
/etc/init.d rc.local or similar?

more questions will follow as I think of them ...

Thanks in advance,
~~~ 0;-Dan
Austin, TX

--=-m05DvZnZENx5Rf9bEw1b

<HTML>
<HEAD>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
AN OBSERVATION: <BR>
Does anyone know why the X220t &quot;convertible&quot; is notably absent from ThinkWiki<BR>
in spite of that hardware being several months (years?) old ... or did I miss something?<BR>
<BR>
MY SYMPTOMS:<BR>
Several of the &quot;extra buttons&quot; and other ACPI events do not happen on my X220t,<BR>
&quot;convertible&quot; tablet-PC.&nbsp; I'm running Linux Mint-12, 64-bit with current &quot;mint-update&quot;<BR>
applied.<BR>
<BR>
Some example troubles using 'acpi_listen' to watch what happens:<BR>
<BR>
=== ThinkVantage does not report<BR>
=== Screen bezel Screen Rotation &quot;orientation&quot; button does not report&nbsp; <BR>
=== Screen bezel Secure Attn Sequence &quot;swirling arrow&quot; button does not report<BR>
=== Stylus_Removed does not report<BR>
=== Stylus_Stored does not report<BR>
=== Screen_Rotate_Tablet does not report<BR>
=== Screen_Rotate_Laptop does not report<BR>
=== Mic Mute button does not report<BR>
<BR>
I'm sure there are more, but these are all that I've firmly identified<BR>
** MORE IMPORTANTly ** these are all that I know how to identify.<BR>
<BR>
A QUESTION:<BR>
Do I need to add boot-time or login-time scripting to activate ACPI reporting or take<BR>
similar actions?<BR>
<BR>
A QUESTION:<BR>
Now that startup is all automatic and event-driven ('upstart' for *buntu) where<BR>
is the place that one puts end-user boot-time processing?&nbsp; Do we still use<BR>
/etc/init.d rc.local or similar?<BR>
<BR>
more questions will follow as I think of them ...<BR>
<BR>
Thanks in advance,<BR>
~~~ 0;-Dan<BR>
Austin, TX<BR>