[ltp] R31 Sleep...Can We Resolve This, continued

bhaskins linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 02 Feb 2011 13:19:23 -0500

bhaskins wrote:
> Simon Royal wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I have just about sorted all the problems out on my ThinkPad R31 under
>> Ubuntu, except sleep.
>>
>> When I close the lid I want it to sleep and then wake when I open it.
>> I have been playing with the different settings and cannot it to work
>> as I would like, so I thought I would throw it over to you guys to see
>> if you could help.
>>
>> Ive always worked on laptops and never come across this problem. Mac
>> OSX is the fastest for coming back from sleep, you open the lid and
>> within two or three seconds it is up and running - even on my old 10
>> year old G3 PowerBook it does it. Windows XP takes a bit longer and
>> then you get faced with a log back in screen.
>>
>> I find it odd that my 10 year old G3 500Mhz Mac can come back from
>> sleep within seconds but my sons 2.2Ghz P4 laptop takes about 20
>> seconds to get back.
>>
>> Ive run Ubuntu and various other buntu and non-bunto based distros on
>> other hardware - x86 and PPC - and never had sleep problems like this.
>>
>> I had a ThinkPad 600 and 240x about a year ago and they just worked
>> with sleep. Open the lid and it comes back on, sometimes faced with a
>> log back in screen but it worked.
>>
>> So why can I not get this R31 to behave in a similar way? Why would a
>> 600 and 240x have better power down support than this R31?
>>
>> If I press Fn+F4 it will go to sleep, but then coming back on takes a
>> boot (bios splash, grub etc) and then you get the log back in screen.
>>
> I have good hibernation (Fn+F4) on 2.6.31.21 generic ( ubuntu 9.10 ).
> I have not been able to find any!!! distro with a later kernel,
> Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian, Mint,
> Centos, and some others that I've forgotten that will hibernate.
>
> I have wasted a ton of time on this and ended up going back to 9.10 on
> two different Thinkpads.
>
> This may be  just a problem with older Thinkpads, but I won't buy a
> new laptop just to
> get hibernation.
>
> I really, really wish that I knew what the problem is.
> Hint! it's not just the wireless card  like Ubuntu claims.

This may be related to some updates, but fedora 14 is now restoring to
some extent.
I seems to do a full restore about 30% of the time and a restore to just
the background
( no menus ) most of the time.
At this point ctl-alt f4 does go to the command line and from there is
able to do a clean shutdown.
So close,,,,,,,,,,,,.