[ltp] Z61m, ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility X1400, Debian Sid

Tue, 8 Feb 2011 10:40:01 -0500

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 7:09 AM, Gijs Hillenius <gijs@hillenius.net> wrote:
> Hello list,
>

> Debian Sid today is making life hard for my Xorg server.
>
> I'm trying to weed through the bug reports and google results, I find
> hints to boot with for instance
>
> nomodeset or
> radeon.agpmode=1 or
> radeon.agpmode=-1
>
> and check the settings in /etc/modprobe/radeon-kms.conf
>
> (currently KMS is enabled. If I disable it, X won't start).
>
> However I'm not entirely sure what any of these 'tweaks' do. Currently,
> X starts but every now and then it will start to become unusable
> (scrolling so fast, it will make me pass out if I look at it too long).

agpmode does nothing on pcie asics like yours.  I suspect something
else is going on.  Do you have the linux firmware packages installed?
Debian no longer ships firmware packages.  The radeon driver requires
firmware to enable acceleration, and the kernel will wait up to 2
minutes searching to firmware if it's not installed.  File a bug
(https://bugs.freedesktop.org) and attach your xorg log and dmesg
output.

Alex