[ltp] Z61m, ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility X1400, Debian Sid

Tue, 8 Feb 2011 20:25:38 -0200

On Tue, 08 Feb 2011, Alex Deucher wrote:
> > FWIW, 2.6.35.11 + Debian Squeeze, KMS enabled, _all power management
> > disabled_ is stable on a Radeon X300 (T43).   Enable automatic GPU power
> > management, and you get unknown NMIs when it switches power management
> > profiles (i.e. the driver is causing the GPU to mess the PCIe bus).
>
> These are caused by changing the pcie link size (e.g., 16x -> 1x) to
> save power.  I'm not sure how to avoid them.  You can disable the
> relevant code in the driver, but the link changes should be safe.

Can't the PCIe link size transition be synchronized with the GPU (i.e.
quiesce it before transitioning, so that it does not generate any traffic
before the retrain is finished?).

Otherwise, it might be a good idea to actually move the NMI handler out of
the dark ages, and teach it about PCie errors...

  Henrique Holschuh