[ltp] Z61m, ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility X1400, Debian Sid

Philipp Kern linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 9 Feb 2011 08:18:03 +0100

--LZvS9be/3tNcYl/X

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 08, 2011 at 01:09:21PM +0100, Gijs Hillenius wrote:
> Debian Sid today is making life hard for my Xorg server.=20

sadly KMS is broken with that chipset.  I've got the same and I'm sure ther=
e's
a bug open about it, but it seems nobody can do anything about it[0].  The =
GPU
loses somehow its synchronization over time.  (It completely locks up after
some time on mine, so it's not just the flickering.)

> I'm trying to weed through the bug reports and google results, I find
> hints to boot with for instance
>=20
> nomodeset or
> radeon.agpmode=3D1 or
> radeon.agpmode=3D-1
>=20
> and check the settings in /etc/modprobe/radeon-kms.conf
>=20
> (currently KMS is enabled. If I disable it, X won't start).
>=20
> However I'm not entirely sure what any of these 'tweaks' do. Currently,
> X starts but every now and then it will start to become unusable
> (scrolling so fast, it will make me pass out if I look at it too long).

I'm currently running squeeze and there is no problem if you use the radeon
driver without the new modesetting function, yet.  radeon.modeset=3D0 on the
kernel commandline works for me.  The "tweak" is just deactivating a new
kernel facility that can do the resolution switching in the kernel instead
of the X server.  As long as it's not needed by the drivers yet there's no
harm in turning it off, except that the virtual consoles don't look as
nifty as they do with KMS.  But then that's for a minority anyway, I guess.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern

[0] I gave up some time ago and didn't record the bug number.  I still try =
    track mainline and retry KMS from time to time, but it never improved.

--LZvS9be/3tNcYl/X

--LZvS9be/3tNcYl/X--