[ltp] Battery recall

John Jason Jordan linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 12 Feb 2011 19:35:20 -0800

I have a 3-1/2 year old T61 whose original battery bit the dust. A
friend has a T60 and recently lent me a battery. It fits and works
fine, however, I have reason to believe it is one of the batteries that
catch fire. It is a Panasonic model 92P1133.

I went to the Lenovo battery recall page and noted that the T61 is not
listed as one of the computers affected by the recall. And the only way
to determine if your computer is affected (apparently) is to download
lenovobatteryprogram.exe and run it under Windows. I do have Windows
2000 installed under Virtualbox on my Fedora 14 x86_64 OS, so I
installed it and ran it. As I expected, it launched Internet Explorer,
went to somewhere on Lenovo's web site, and promptly announced "the
battery barcode format is not recognized. For what it's worth, the
battery says it was manufactured for Lenovo and it has Lenovo's logos
all over it.

I could use some suggestions and advice.