[ltp] Intel 5100/5300 failures at 802.11n 5GHz?

Jesse Sheidlower linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 17 Feb 2011 15:19:32 -0500

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 07:18:51AM -0500, Jesse Sheidlower wrote:

> I have two ThinkPads with Intel WiFi cards, a W500 with the 5100 AGN and
> an X301 with the 5300 AGN. I've consistently had problems connecting to
> 802.11n on the 5GHz band. I would either not see the SSID for this band,
> or I would see it but be unable to connect to it.
>
> For some time I assumed it was the fault of my router, but I've recently
> sat down and done a lot of testing, and it seems that the router is fine
> (a Mac connects to the 5GHz N band, for example). Also, both TPs connect
> to the 5GHz band on 802.11a without a problem (the 2.4GHz has always
> been fine), so it's not like the 5GHz band isn't working at all.
>
> How do I figure out what's going on here? I've searched around, and
> there seems to have been a problem with older drivers for these cards,
> but that were fixed a number of versions ago. I'm running 2.6.35-25 on
> both machines. Using 802.11a is a tolerable compromise, but I do need
> the speed of N for various tasks.

Actually I need to correct myself. I did further testing, and now
realize that N isn't working at all; it's not just N on the 5GHz band.
If I set the 2.4 band to use N only, I get the same problems (I can see
the AP, but can't connect to it).

Does this sound any more familiar? Is there something I need to do to
enable N?

Thanks.

Jesse Sheidlower