[ltp] playback of fhd video on linux

Damon Lynch linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 24 Feb 2011 18:23:43 -0600

--20cf30267026b23bac049d1057a8

On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 3:58 PM, Arian Kuschki <arian.kuschki@googlemail.com
> wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Feb 2011 14:54:26 -0600, Damon Lynch <damonlynch@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > AFAIK there was only ever one option for the T400s graphics adapter, i.e.
> > the integrated Intel X4500M.
> ah, that is great to hear, thank you for this information! When you say
> you are not sure about more compressed video formats, do you mean you
> only played Blue Ray discs or did you also try h264 encoded 1080p?
> --

I don't know if the discs I've played were encoded using MPEG-4 AVC or VC-1.
My point was is that it is possible to encode videos using h264 in ways that
are more CPU intensive in both encoding and decoding, depending on the
compression options chosen at the time of encoding. A quick perusal of the
options in the program Handbrake can give you an idea of the range of
options available, for example.

All the high-def video files I've personally tried have played without issue
in VLC under Linux, but it is conceivable that somewhere out there, someone
has encoded a 1080p video in such a way that decoding it requires more CPU
power than found in a T400s. Is this worth worrying about? Perhaps not.

Damon
--
http://www.damonlynch.net

--20cf30267026b23bac049d1057a8

span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:arian.kuschki@googlemail.com">arian.=
quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1=
ex;">
ef=3D"mailto:damonlynch@gmail.com">damonlynch@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
&gt; AFAIK there was only ever one option for the T400s graphics adapter, i=
.e.<br>
&gt; the integrated Intel X4500M.<br>
ay<br>
you are not sure about more compressed video formats, do you mean you<br>
only played Blue Ray discs or did you also try h264 encoded 1080p?<br>
 were encoded using MPEG-4 AVC or VC-1. My point was is that it is possible=
 to encode videos using h264 in ways that are more CPU intensive in both en=
coding and decoding, depending on the compression options chosen at the tim=
e of encoding. A quick perusal of the options in the program Handbrake can =
give you an idea of the range of options available, for example. <br>
out issue in VLC under Linux, but it is conceivable that somewhere out ther=
e, someone has encoded a 1080p video in such a way that decoding it require=
s more CPU power than found in a T400s. Is this worth worrying about? Perha=
ps not. <br clear=3D"all">
ynch.net</a><br>

--20cf30267026b23bac049d1057a8--