[ltp] Further In My R31 Battery Issues

Simon Royal linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 6 Jan 2011 21:16:30 +0000

--0016364d1e11fa56ea0499340311

Hi

Brief history: Bought R31 which came with dead battery about two weeks ago.
Bought a second hand battery from ebay, reputable seller of laptop parts.
Guy said battery lasts about 90 mins.

Today: The replacement battery arrived today and it has been struggling to
charge all day.

When I first put it in it did not register. It took about 5 mins before the
machine recognised a battery was there.

Earlier today I could only get the battery to charge to 27% and it took
about 20 mins to do so. Then it sat there for a while then suddenly charged
to 33%. It sat there for a few hours and went up to 35%. I then ran the
battery out completely and started charging it again. It charged to 37% and
stopped.

If I pull out the adapter in Ubuntu, it will hang the machine - flashing the
caps lock and scroll lock lights. The same happens if the battery runs too
low - this I have been told is a kernel panic.

This doesnt happen in XP. You can remove the power adapter and put it in and
it accepts the AC adapter.

I have noticed something very odd. It charged to 37% according to the
Battery Maximiser Gauge. However, I have been running it for about 30 mins
and the percentage hasnt dropped. The little battery icon in the task bar of
XP warned me it was low about 20 mins ago and is sitting with a crossed out
battery stating 0% remaining.

So Battery Maximiser Gauge still says 37%, but task bar says 0%.

While it is great that I actually have my ThinkPad running without an AC
adapter and running for quite a while, I have no idea how long this battery
is going to last and no way of finding out.

What is going on? I cannot trust either meter. Do I need to recalibrate or
something. I am not bothered how long the battery lasts but it would be good
to know how long it is going to last. I would also like to get this working
in Ubuntu.

Can anyone help.

Simon

--

--- Twitter: http://twitter.com/SimonRoyal - LowEndMac:
http://tinyurl.com/macspectrum - Skype: Simon-Royal.

--0016364d1e11fa56ea0499340311

y about two weeks ago. Bought a second hand battery from ebay, reputable se=
it did not register. It took about 5 mins before the machine recognised a b=
attery was there.</div>
 27% and it took about 20 mins to do so. Then it sat there for a while then=
 suddenly charged to 33%. It sat there for a few hours and went up to 35%. =
I then ran the battery out completely and started charging it again. It cha=
rged to 37% and stopped.</div>
achine - flashing the caps lock and scroll lock lights. The same happens if=
 the battery runs too low - this I have been told is a kernel panic.</div>
 have noticed something very odd. It charged to 37% according to the Batter=
y Maximiser Gauge. However, I have been running it for about 30 mins and th=
e percentage hasnt dropped. The little battery icon in the task bar of XP w=
arned me it was low about 20 mins ago and is sitting with a crossed out bat=
tery stating 0% remaining.</div>
y ThinkPad running without an AC adapter and running for quite a while, I h=
ave no idea how long this battery is going to last and no way of finding ou=
t.</div>
d to recalibrate or something. I am not bothered how long the battery lasts=
 but it would be good to know how long it is going to last. I would also li=
ke to get this working in Ubuntu.</div>
r>-- <br><span style=3D"border-collapse:separate;color:rgb(0, 0, 0);font-fa=
mily:&#39;Times New Roman&#39;;font-style:normal;font-variant:normal;font-w=
eight:normal;letter-spacing:normal;line-height:normal;text-indent:0px;text-=
transform:none;white-space:normal;word-spacing:0px;font-size:medium"><span =
style=3D"border-collapse:collapse;font-family:arial,sans-serif;font-size:13=
px"><span style=3D"font-family:Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,sans-serif;font-size:13=
px;color:rgb(42, 42, 42)"><pre style=3D"white-space:normal;line-height:17px=
">
--- Twitter:=A0<a href=3D"http://twitter.com/SimonRoyal" style=3D"color:rgb=
(162, 97, 12);line-height:17px;font-weight:inherit;text-decoration:none" ta=
rget=3D"_blank">http://twitter.com/SimonRoyal</a>=A0- LowEndMac:=A0<a href=
=3D"http://tinyurl.com/macspectrum" style=3D"color:rgb(162, 97, 12);line-he=
ight:17px;font-weight:inherit;text-decoration:none" target=3D"_blank">http:=
//tinyurl.com/macspectrum</a>=A0- Skype: Simon-Royal.<br style=3D"line-heig=
ht:17px">
--- IBM ThinkPad R31 running Ubuntu 10.10 &amp; Windows XP Home. Apple Powe=
rBook G3 &#39;Pismo&#39; running OSX 10.4. Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Mini Pr=

--0016364d1e11fa56ea0499340311--